Monday, November 06, 2006

The Bells Rang...



The bells rang all about us as we gazed out from the tower and learned about many of the buildings on campus. Bry was anxious to share with us all kinds of fun spots he had found since moving to school. We traveled to see him last month for Homecoming and had fun exploring the campus. Brit was able to roll down 4.0 Hill and is crossing her fingers she will now pull straight A's this year. We also had a chance at good luck and got to see just how crazy the students get during a game. The weather was gorgeous and we spent the weekend hiking all over campus and the surrounding town. How long ago it was that I was able to share my campus with my parents...Years have passed and now I am the proud parent walking, talking, laughing and sharing every moment with my child before the weekend comes to an end and we head back home. We grabbed coffee from his favorite spot before heading off to walk the streets. He proudly shared the architect building with us as well as the library. We walked and walked that weekend trying to absorb all that he shared. It has been quite an adjustment in our home this fall to have him off at school. We are fortunate to be living during a time when technology helps us feel not so seperated by miles. Bry calls often, sometimes before checking the time as we rise in the middle of the night to yet another call. "Mom, will you walk down to the computer and check the pictures I am sending you of my house model? My presentation is due tomorrow and I would like you to go over it with me." This before he realized it was 1AM and I had been asleep for quite some time. The nights used to seem so cold when you would crawl out from under the blankets but not so when it is at the request of a child off at school who is anxious to go over a project with you one last time before it is due. I sat on the phone staring at the computer and sharing my thoughts and ideas with him as he shared why he chose what and how he had accomplished certain textures, etc. I finally suggested we end the call at 2AM since my alarm would be going off in three hours and work would be waiting. I went to work a little tired that next day but filled with the conversation of the night before and was happy to haved received a call in the middle of the night. A memory I will always keep close to me no matter how far he may wander over the years. So, as the bells rang and he pointed out yet another building, I tried to breath it all in so that the memories would always be with me. Blessed Be-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharon....how wonderful this young man can reach out and feel love and warmth from his family to build reassurance in a demanding world. You have given more than you know. Judy Roskam