Monday, May 02, 2005

Bliss!
We spent a day walking among the Sequoias this weekend. This is a place I have been wanting to get to for months now. The weather has been an issue however, and the rainy season has continued way past its usual time. After all the waiting, I was excited to finally be on the road towards my dream! The family laughed as they kept reminding me on our way up the mountain that this was my dream trip! I, as many of you know, am not fond of heights! Mountains have always been an issue for me when traveling them by car. I do so much better when my feet can touch the ground. I struggled through the long and slow trip up the mountain, leaning way in towards the center of the car to assure that we would not fall off the cliff to my right! I am always sure this makes a difference. That and stressing for the hundredth time to Wayne that he needs to go slower! I am happy to say we climbed the 8000 Plus feet up to be told that all the paths at that elevation were closed due to the snow!!! I must say the snow was not something we had expected and on first seeing it, we stopped the car and got out to touch it and of course throw a few snowballs at each other!!! The ranger was very kind at the top as he explained that we could only explore if we had skis. Since we did not we climbed back in the car to endure the slow trek back down a 1000 ft to an area we could hike. To drive among the sequoias is amazing yet it cannot compare to the feeling we experienced as we walked at their feet! We spent the day with "Giants" and received yet another reminder that we truely are just a speck in the whole scheme of things! How humbling to sit on the lap of one of these dear old Grandma trees! I found I could not stop touching them as well as smelling their sweet scent. We hiked on drifts of snow that stood 3-5 feet in the air just to follow the paths among these beauties! The snow was just an added treat and a fun adventure for the children! They spent their day laughing and falling into the snow! What fun to be able to play in the snow while the air is warm!!! With every step there was new beauty! We walked a path that looped around a meadow in the midst of the Sequoias. It was covered with snow but had brooks of running water that added the most beautiful sound to our journey. Imagine the sound of the running brook and the laughter of my two children as they once again fell face first into a snow drift and you too will experience the bliss I felt while spending my day among the Giants. I pray for you each a moment in your space where you can find this true feeling of contentment. Blessings!

No comments: